Friday 8 January 2010

Winter Coat Project

Quite some time ago, I promised my best friend that I would make her a winter coat. With one thing or another, the project kinda got forgotten about... until I recently rediscovered it! At the time, we bought everything we needed - from the grey 'salt & pepper' coating fabric, to the cute pink lining, to the oversized charcoal buttons:


With the weather we're having here at the moment, I want to get this done asap! So today I'm starting. I've cut the pattern (I usually trace, but she's working out to the biggest size, so I can cut the pattern and re-use it in future if I need to make a smaller size for anyone else), and am just starting to lay it on the fabric.

I'm using Vogue 8436 which is now discontinued. We're going for view B, with sash.

I've read through the instructions, and they seem really straightforward for Vogue! Also there are a few reviews on PatternReview.com, and it's classed as 'easy' which is nice (famous last words...?)

One feature that was mentioned twice on PR is that the sleeves are massive. Both reviewers said they actually altered the sleeve pattern before cutting, as it would have been far too full if they'd have cut the pattern as it was.

I'm actually tempted to keep the sleeves as they are... I just really love statement sleeves, especially this bishop-style! The rest of the coat is pretty plain so it should all balance quite nicely. My BF likes all the same things I do, which is handy - I feel confident making decisions without consulting her lol!

The one thing I'm currently undecided on is the closure. I'm not sure if I should make functioning buttonholes for the buttons, or if the buttons should just be decorative, with some sort of hidden closure underneath (Vogue recommend snaps/press studs, but I can't stand them - they're so 'homemade' looking! I'd probably go for magnetic snaps, as found on handbags.)

I'll post pics as I progress - watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment